Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kitchenaid White wheat bread

I'm on the hunt for a go-to wheat bread recipe. I've been testing out a new one each week and most of them have been okay, while only one has been flat out disgusting. By the way, few things are worse than spending 3 hours working on bread and it turning out nearly inedible.

I came across this one last week in a Williams sonoma cookbook. When I saw it made the kitchenaid do all the work I was sold. It came together easy and tastes great. Finally!

I'm keeping this one around, however I'm still working on the perfect 100% whole wheat bread. If you have one you love please let me know!







White wheat bread
makes 2 loaves

1 1/2 Tbsp active dry yeast
pinch of brown sugar
1 cup (250ml) warm water (105-115 degrees)
1 1/2 cups (375ml) tepid milk (90 degrees)
1/4 cup (75g) pure maple syrup, honey or light molasses
1/4 cup (60ml) canola oil
1 Tbsp salt
3 cups (470g) whole wheat flour
3 1/2 - 4 cups bread flour, or more if needed

In a bowl, sprinkle the yeast andbrown sugar over the water and stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine milk, maple syrup, oil, salt and 2 cups of the whole wheat flour. Beat on medium-low speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the yeast mixture and the remaining whole wheat flour and beat for 1 minute. Beat in the bread flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Switch to the dough hook. Knead on low speed, adding bread flour 1 tbsp at a time if the dough sticks, until smooth but slightly sticky when pressed, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the dough to an oiled deep bowl and turn the dough once to coat it. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, 1-1 1/2 hours.

Lightly grease two loaf pans. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and divide it in half. Flatten into a rectangle that measures about 14"x9" with your hands, and roll like you would when making cinnamon rolls. And place into loaf pans. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until about 1 inch above the rim of each pan, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Bake until the loaves are golden brown and pull away from the sides of the pan, 35-40 minutes. Turn out onto racks and let cool completely.



7 comments:

  1. Yum! Is there a way to make it without a stand mixer? I know, it is implied in the title I should have one for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure! a stand mixer just makes it easier. follow the directions as you would with a kitchenaid except beat with a wooden spoon for the appropriate time. add as much flour as your arm strength will let you stirring with the wooden spoon, then turn out onto flour board and knead until smooth but slightly sticky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our favorite bread is sourdough---its long fermentation is said to transform the white flour so that it is as nutritionally amped as whole wheat breads. I don't know that I completely buy into that (old beliefs die hard), but I do know that it has the most addictive flavor every---full-bodied, sour, rich, intense. It's totally different from yeasted breads (which I also love).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made Peter Reinhart's "Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire" from his book The Bread Baker's Apprentice the other day (see here: http://piecurious.wordpress.com/) and it turned out fabulous. The actual recipe doesn't call for whole wheat flour, but I am sure you could always substitute. I think that there is a whole wheat bread recipe in his book as well. I have never experienced a bad loaf out of his book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, this may be weird, but i think a long time ago you posted some kind of detox that you do around new years time or somtehing? i know you're super good with health stuff and i was wondering if you could re post that for me!? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, ummmm.... what color is your nail polish? (Weird, I know! But it caught my eye!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the detox post is here http://vanillaandlace.blogspot.com/2010/01/avocado-cucumber-soup.html

    and dinner @ my place, the nail polish is OPI Get in lime. and its my favorite right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please say hi!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS